Recital at Juilliard and afterthoughts

So I've been busy lately with work picking up a bit and all. Hence the kinda lack of updates. I usually write only when I am inspired, and work always get in the way of my inspiration. Isn't it kinda evident? I haven't exactly came out with a single prose after graduation. Well except that time when I was having my idyllic vacation at the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia. But that is another story to tell.

Anyway I've been meaning to attend a performance or concert or recital at Juilliard for a long long time. Juilliard is one of the world's best music school and needless to say someone like yours truly that gave up pursuing piano any further when she found out she has to practice at least 6 hours a day will never in this lifetime make it into Juilliard. So you understand why I so wanted to see a performance there. If I can't have the pie smelling it is good enough. But I have no one but my sorry ass to blame for not seeing one because I live literally 6 blocks away. Heck I even past by it almost everyday if I walk home from work.

But today, I was fortunate enough to attend a recital by a fellow Malaysian who was getting his DMA (doctor of musical arts) at Juiliard. He played a very impressive six comtemporary and perhaps jazzy pieces - well I can't define them well because I was clasically trained and was never much into comtemporary music. It was great from a techical standpoint and I definitely enjoyed the whole performance in the grandiosity of Paul Recital Hall. Yet I never have much appreciation for modern composers/musicians the likes of Shostakovitch and was never really much into Jazz either. But it just feels good to soak myself in some artistic vibes and afterward to meet some Malaysians artists. Haha I wanted to laugh. My friends in New York are 90% in finance and 9% in law. And now maybe I can say 1% in the music/artistic industry. Life is good.

To be honest I cannot remember the last time I attended a piano recital. Probably when I was at Mount Holyoke. It brought back a lot of memories and definitely reminded me of a few things that I am missing out for getting embroiled in this industry that I am now golden-handcuffed into.

All I wanted to say was, working and living in New York has occupied so much of my free time that I no longer have the time to do creative things like playing the piano and creative writing. I just no longer have the inspiration for them - having so much to do in this amazing city! It is sad, but I suppose it is a matter of priority. Oh well. I'll live with it. At least for now.

Bedtime. Sigh when I was in college, I never dreamt that I will have to wake up at 6 in the morning perhaps for a good next 15 years of my life. A 10am class is early for me. Now it has become a norm. And as long as I remain in this industry, that is one price I have to pay 5 days a week. I'm gonna have to live with it. :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Counting down from 08 and HELLO 2009!

Fall of the House of Lehman

Survivor Day 2