Chapter 1 - The Story Begins

September 14, 2008 - I will remember this date for the rest of my life, for the good, for the bad, for the inevitable. So there I was happily lazying on a bed under a big umbrella on Playa Norte ( North Beach ) on the Isla Mujeres ( Island of Women ) which is a 20 minutes fast ferry ride away from Cancun. I was congratulating myself on finding a nice relatively quiet beach with the perfect beach/turquoise waters that I am so obsessed with. And the best thing is, you can walk like 50 meters out and water is still up to your knees. It was amazing, and it definitely reminded me of Kailue Beach Park in Honululu, Hawaii. Although I have to say, having a bed to chill on under an umbrella is way better than lying on the sand on your beach towel.
So anyway I was happily thinking to myself, wow what a trip. First of all, Happy Birthday to myself. I am a year older, and a year more ecentric. Yeah - who in their right mind run off to Cancun of all places to be alone on their birthday right? But the reasons behind that will be material for another post down the road.
So more of the good - my friend is getting married in Malaysia so it will be an wedding anniversary to remember. Speaking of which, I probably should hurry up now and go wish my aunt a Happy Wedding Anniversary! because she got married like many years ago, also on my birthday. It must be an auspicious day.
And then my crackberry for no good reason is not working so I am rather oblivious to all the bombs that already dropped in New York.
So for one entire afternoon, I was happily chilling and periodically jumping into the wonderfully refreshing waters to cool off from the sun, thinking that the one thing missing is a strawberry daiquiry. Was trying to write but my mind is a blank of blissfulness.
At 4:00pm I decided to pack up and head back to the hotel since I'm getting pretty hungry. My dinner reservation at the Mexican restaurant at the hotel was for 8:30 but I was starving so I went at 7:00 and asked if I can eat then. The Mexicans are a real friendly bunch (I'll write about that in another more aptly titled post on Cancun). So anyway I was halfway through a delish steak dinner when my friend/ex-colleague called me up and went "Hey do you know what happened to your company?"
Me: "What what did BofA finally go through with the purchase? At what price?"
Friend: "No, no, your company is filing for bankruptcy and it's all over the news"
Me: "Fxxxx!!!! How did that happen?!!" ...speechless, pause, awkward silence...then friend proceeded to explain to me what happened and after 30 seconds I came out of my shock and " I am getting on the next flight back to New York"
The next flight turns out to be the next day and then I got back and realized there really wasn't anything I can do at this point other than hope for the best...the what???
So here I am, a week later, spending time chilling as if I am already unemployed.
I've been restless all week, and there's also a feeling of helplessness, since with my silly L-1 visa status I cannot find a job in the states, and Asia is looking like a dead end at this point. So here I am, a sitting duck waiting for the other shoe to drop. And out of the blue I thought I'd just start a blog to write about er...my life I suppose.
to be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall of the House of Lehman

Counting down from 08 and HELLO 2009!

Cancun, Mexico (9/12 - 9/15)